Marketing to Teens - US - May 2015
“The teen years are a unique middle ground; teen consumers are not quite children, not quite adults. A big part of being ‘not quite an adult’ is that teens rely heavily on their parents to buy things for them. This means that brands often have to gain the approval of both teens and their parents.”
– Lauren Bonetto, Lifestyle & Leisure Analyst
This report covers:
- Teens' activities
- How to leverage the internet, social media, and mobile devices to reach teens
- Teens' shopping habits
In 2015, there are 25 million teens aged 12-17 in the US and their buying power is significant as teens not only shop with their own wallets, but with their parents’ wallets as well. Like Millennials, teens divvy up their spending money across possessions (like clothing and media) and experiences (like concerts and dining out).
Marketing to teens can be tricky as brands must sometimes win the approval of both teens and their parents. However, compared to kids, teens are far more independent, so parental approval is somewhat less important and teens’ preferences are often given more weight and consideration.
Perhaps the three things that most set teens apart from kids are: cell phone ownership rates, social media engagement, and internet use.
- Teens are nearly four times more likely than kids to own a cell which suggests leveraging mobile may help brands reach teens(but not so much kids).
- Teens are significantly more likely than kids to use social media and it is crucial for brands to target them on these platforms. To effectively target teens on social media, a brand must identify which platform(s) work best with its identity and marketing strategy.
- Teens spend quadruple the amount of time kids spend online each week and are significantly more likely to use the internet for communication. Targeting teens digitally (and not just on social media) is easy to overlook but important to remember.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.