Meat Free Foods - UK - December 2010
Three in five UK adults now eat meat-free food, according to consumer research for this report. However, only 6% of adults identify themselves as vegetarians, this share remaining broadly stagnant in recent years. Demand from people eating both meat and meat-free foods, has been a key factor supporting underlying growth in the market, driven for example by the quest for variety and health considerations.
The consumer research for this report shows considerable openness among mainstream consumers to meat-free food if it delivers as a culinary experience, with nearly half of adults saying they would consider such food if it was tasty or exciting in its own right. Supporting this finding, the quest for variety stands out as the most popular reason for eating meat-free or vegetarian foods.
- Products bringing diversity to the mainstream meat-free offering stand to find demand among the 11 million adults who say they would eat meat-free food more, given greater variety.
- The ready and ready-to-cook meal sectors could benefit from broadening their meat-free offering, to cater for the 12 million adults that think there aren't enough meat-free options in these categories.
- Over three million 16-34-year-olds would like to cut back on meat/fish/poultry, a potentially lucrative target for meat-free foods that can facilitate this within their established cooking habits.
- Traditional and natural high protein ingredients like tempeh or quinoa could spark interest among the nearly seven million ABs who report being put off by meat-substitutes because they see these as artificial or processed.
- Meat-free foods drawing inspiration from ethnic cuisines could spark interest among the four million 25-34-year-olds who would consider vegetarian or meat-free food if it was exciting or tasty in its own right, this age group also being top users of ethnic foods.
- Delivering on all around healthiness, such as low fat and calories, could help meat-free foods increase their appeal to the nearly seven million adults who choose such foods when wanting a lighter meal.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.