The Men's and Women's Fragrance Market - UK - September 2012
The UK retail market for fragrances continued to grow in 2011, in spite of a challenging economic setting, with sales up by 4.5% to reach around £1.38 billion. While growth continues, it is doing so at a slower rate. The recession has proved that the ‘lipstick effect’ works, where women are treating themselves to affordable, little luxuries when money is tight whilst cutting back on bigger purchases, but there are signs of the prestige sector moving towards lower price points. In spite of this, sales of fine fragrances remain substantially larger than the mass market, generating 82% of market value, the bulk of which comes from female-specific products.
Active new product development plays an important role in the market and is key to maintaining and creating consumer interest, for example, through seasonal and limited-edition products. Women’s fragrances are the central arena for new introductions, accounting for nearly two thirds of all launches. Recent product trends have varied from fashion and music to food and exoticism, with suppliers also paying greater attention to the development of more environmentally-friendly products, generally through packaging, and botanical/herbal alternatives.
Fragrances are used for a variety of occasions, from work to meeting with friends and special events, supporting sales. The number-one reason to wear fragrance is simply to smell good (70%), but it has become a routine for more than half of fragrance users (54%) and is a finishing touch when getting dressed up for almost half (45%).
What's included in the UK Fragrance Market Report:
This report examines the UK market for men’s and women’s fragrances including Eaux de Toilette, Eaux de Parfum and colognes:
- Eaux de Parfums (EdP) have an 8-15% concentration of essence.
- Eaux de Toilettes (EdT) have a 4-8% concentration of essence.
- Colognes, often referred to as Eaux de Cologne, have a 3-5% concentration of essence.
- Due to the importance of the Lynx brand and its wider use as a fragrance rather than a deodorant, especially among younger men, for the purposes of this report, body sprays are included in the definition of men’s fragrances for market data purposes. Please note that this differs to the women’s fragrance market, which does not include body sprays.
The words “perfume” or “scent” are sometimes used as synonyms for fragrance. To avoid confusion, this report uses the terms perfume, eau de parfum, eau de toilette, cologne and, as a generic term, the word “fragrance”.
- Line extensions of fragrance brands, including bath and body products, deodorants, shaving products, shower gels and shampoos, conditioners and styling products have been excluded.
- Duty-free products bought when travelling are not included in the market size data.
- The “grey” market is a term used within the fragrance industry for fine fragrance products that are sold outside the selective distribution network of authorised distributors and retailers supplied by the fragrance houses. Sales through these channels also fall outside of the remit of this report.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.