Men's Fragrances - UK - September 2010
This report examines the UK market for men's fragrances including pre-shaves, aftershave lotions, balms, conditioners and gels, eaux de toilette and eaux de parfum products and colognes.
- Almost a third of men think fragrance is expensive for what it is and the economic downturn has cultivated a heightened bargain-hunting mentality. Low prices are an important factor in fragrance purchase for many men.
- Young men aged 25-34 represent the biggest opportunity to the fragrance market: almost eight in ten men this age use fragrance, while they are also twice as likely as men aged 35-44 to spend a lot of money on toiletries and cosmetics. They also own more fragrances; 22% own four or more bottles.
- Three in ten men use no fragrance at all and while the majority are over-65s, there are many non-users among younger ages.
- The niche-luxury sector may be smaller in the men's market than the women's but it is exerting a creative influence on the wider men's fragrance market. Men aged 35-44 would be well targeted by such brands as they are the least likely to find fragrance expensive, as well as most likely to use fragrance to express their personality, with 15% doing so.
- The internet is changing the way men shop for fragrance. Almost one in five men have bought fragrance online. This rises to 23% of men aged 35-44. Buying fragrance online also appeals more to men that to women, with only 13% of women buying over the internet.
- An average of three in ten men buy fragrance for themselves, with this figure rising to over four in ten of the 25-34s. Professional men and Londoners are most likely to self-purchase.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.