Men's Grooming - UK - June 2010
- Despite growing interest in personal appearance amongst men and a greater acceptability of using products such as skincare, over the last three years the UK’s £484 million men’s grooming market has grown only marginally, by just 3%.
- Men are reluctant to experiment with their appearance. Just one in ten often update their look. They don’t like to spend too long on their appearance either with three out of ten men spending “hardly any time” on their appearance.
- Young men are of greatest value to the grooming market. Not only are they more experimental with their appearance and spend more time on grooming, but they are also more likely to use a wider range of products.
- The products that are most likely to be used on a daily basis -deodorants, shower gels and face creams - are also the most likely to have seen a drop in overall usage between 2008 and 2009. Recession and unemployment may explain this fall: a lack of routine or need to look professional could explain the slight decline in usage in the last year.
- Excluding bath, soap or shower products, more than a quarter of men only use regularly two different types of grooming product. Deodorants and shaving cream/gel are regular essentials. Although only using two types of product regularly, men may occasionally use other toiletries, such as moisturiser or hair styling products, as and when they feel they need to.
- Most men prefer to use a handful of favourite brands, particularly in facial cleansing, hair styling and deodorants. Brand loyalty is lowest in the basic toiletry sectors of shaving preps and deodorants, which are subject to heavy discounting and likely to be bought on best price.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.