Mobile Phone Services - US - August 2010
According to the CTIA, 91% of Americans owned a cellphone as of December 2009 - and mobile phone services make up a vast business sector with revenues exceeding $150 billion per year. Wireless networks have become a critical channel for communication, information, entertainment and more, thanks to the incredible proliferation of features and data available through these services.
In spite of these successes, future profits are being threatened by commoditization as consumers embrace new usage models that rely less on voice communication and more on data and applications. Further complicating branding are upgrades to faster and higher-capacity networks that can change the landscape. This report provides in-depth analysis of the mobile phone services market, including:
- Market size and segmentation: Historic and projected mobile phone services sales will be provided for 2004 through 2014, including segmented sales trends for both voice and data services.
- Leading companies: Providing a broad nationwide network along with comprehensive customer service is capital-intensive, leading to a highly consolidated market in which four companies, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon, have over 80% market share. Competitive factors and market strategies will be discussed for each of the four leaders.
- Market drivers: Key factors driving future growth for mobile phone services will be discussed, including how market maturity and high levels of penetration will impact sector growth; new usage models for cellphone services and how they could impact plan choice; the impact of a severe recession on consumer choices for wireless; and the ongoing launch of next-generation wireless networks, amongst others.
- Consumer behavior and needs: Based on extensive survey data, Mintel will analyze consumer behavior, attitudes and preferences regarding mobile phone services in detail, including spending, subscribership by brand, feature usage and factors driving product choice. Separate demographic groups will be considered to determine trends in how different groups use mobile phone services.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.