Mobile Phones and Network Providers - UK - January 2011
Demand for high-end smartphones continues to rise, driven primarily by young, technology-savvy mobile customers.With mobiles increasingly becoming ‘pocket PC’-type devices, handset operating systems (OS) are becoming a more important point of competitive differentiation. Research for this report shows that a large proportion of customers now look at the operating system before making a purchase
- Despite the strong market push toward ‘pocket pc’ type smartphones, a large proportion of mobile users have yet to fully embrace mobile multi-functionality. Over half (56%) agree that ‘as long I can make voice calls and texts, I don’t care about other features and functions’.
- A sizable chunk of mobile customers feel disorientated by the pace of technological change in the market, with about one in two agreeing that mobile phones have gotten too complicated.
- General mobile ownership is dominated by the traditional ‘big three’ handset manufacturers. Nokia (32%), Samsung (21%) and Sony Ericsson (15%) are the most widely owned brands among mobile users. When taken together, this amounts to three in four mobile users owning a device from one these companies.
- Nokia has particularly strong penetration among over-55-year-olds, with about one in two owning a Nokia handset.
- iPhone owners are more regular users of ‘advanced’ mobile functions. Looking at daily mobile usage, they are about three times more likely to browse the internet, three times more likely to listen to music and four times more likely to download apps than mobile users overall.
- Some 40% of 16-24-year-olds use their phone to access the internet on a daily basis, compared to 23% of mobile users overall.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.