Mobile Phones and Networks - Re-igniting The Replacement Cycle - UK - January 2010
- Mintel’s research shows that contracts are still the main way people are getting a new mobile handset. But will the rising popularity of SIM only deals mean this will always be the case?
- Older respondents are most likely to opt for basic, pay as you go handsets (68% of over 55’s). What strategies could retailers take to make more expensive smartphone contracts appeal to this group?
- Respondents are focussed more on mobile design (47%) over more technical aspects, such as mobile operating system (8%). Will this create challenges in selling smartphones to the mass-market?
- Despite increased media attention towards mobile applications, very few respondents have paid to download them (5%). What barriers are there to more advanced mobile usage such as this?
- Mintel’s research shows that total mobile retail revenues to have declined by an estimated £0.6bn in 2009. What is the cause, and how important will smartphones be in driving revenues in the future?
- In terms of choosing a mobile network, respondents are most interested in quality of customer service (33%) and price (30%). But how important are value added extra’s, such as 2 for 1 cinema tickets?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.