Mobile Phones - US - June 2010
As of December 2009, 91% of American consumers own a cellphone. Despite the evident maturity of the mobile phone industry, the market has avoided the traditional consolidation and commoditization seen in many other tech products. Indeed, as phones become more and more powerful, they are taking a larger role in peoples’ lives and going far beyond voice, or even online communication.
Thanks to “all you can eat” service plans and new smartphone platforms that support a broad range of applications, consumers can use their phones for entertainment, information, news, shopping and more, making the cellphone sector a critical one for companies in virtually all industries to understand and explore.
This report will provide a detailed analysis of this important market, including:
- Historic and projected cellphone sales (including both unit sales and revenues based on dealer prices) will be provided for 2004 through 2014, along with segmented sales trends for both smartphones and standard cellphones
- Key factors driving the mobile phone industry will be discussed, including how the maturity and near-universal market penetration of cellphones impacts sector growth, new consumer usage models for cellphones, the impending launch of next-generation wireless networks, the emergence of new operating systems and the impact of a long-lasting recession to name a few
- A detailed overview of consumer behavior, attitudes and preferences regarding mobile phones, including brand ownership by demographic, features driving product choice and how consumers are using their phones.
- Thousands of consumer comments on leading social media sites have been analyzed and measured to provide a direct view of consumer sentiment outside the confines of a study
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.