Natural and Organic Beauty - UK - February 2010
This is the first time Mintel has examined the UK market for natural and organic beauty and personal care products. However, the subject has been touched on in Mintel’s report Consumer Attitudes Towards Beauty Product Ingredients – UK, May 2009. This report expands on the section dealing with new natural beauty product launches drawing largely from Mintel’s GNPD.
- A lack of regulation surrounding the natural and organic claims of toiletries has lead to a vast and confusing scale of ‘natural’ and ‘organic’ in the beauty aisles. People find it difficult to distinguish all- natural and organic products from those that only contain extracts.
- Three in ten women use only natural and organic products where possible. However, the consumer definition of ‘natural’ is as wide-ranging as the products available.
- Price is more of an influence than natural or organic ingredients when people decide which beauty and personal care products to buy. Less than 5 million adults believe that natural and organic toiletries are better quality than standard alternatives.
- There is deep-seated mistrust of natural and organic toiletries, which are seen as a marketing gimmick to inflate prices. This puts natural and organic products at odds with the bargain-hunting mentality that has thrived during the recession.
- The ‘free-from’ claim has encouraged the perception that chemicals are harmful. Even the adults who actively avoid certain chemicals are uncertain as to the ways in which chemicals are harmful.
- Almost half of adults believe that natural and organic toiletries are better for the environment but there is little awareness of provenance or of the freight miles that the ingredients have travelled to reach the bathroom cabinet.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.