Natural and Organic Personal Care Consumer - US - December 2013
“Consumers are expressing some skepticism and apathy toward the natural and organic personal care category. However, this represents an opportunity for brands to be more transparent, show shoppers the long-term value of going green, address consumers based on their current lifestage needs, and be creative with retailing.”
– Shannon Romanowski, Beauty and Personal Care Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- How can the category address consumer skepticism and apathy toward NOPC products?
- How can brands improve the perceived value of NOPC products?
- How can NOPC brands better connect with shoppers?
Natural and organic personal care products are broadly appealing, though consumers are skeptical of the category due to the prevalence of natural claims, limited regulations, and a wide range of interpretations regarding execution of natural products. However, shoppers are concerned about green issues, and aspire to live a greener lifestyle. In addition, reasons for using natural and organic products vary by age—with older shoppers focusing on health concerns while young shoppers are motivated by quality and being perceived as green by others. Brands that embrace transparency while targeting different age groups with benefits most likely to resonate will stand to see the most success.
This report focuses on consumers’ attitudes toward green living, as well as their usage, perception of claims, and attitudes toward natural and organic personal care products.
For the purposes of this report, the following categories are included and defined as follows:
- Haircare (includes shampoo, conditioner, hairstyling products, and hair color)
- Skincare (includes skincare products for the face and body such as soap and shower gel, body lotion, facial skincare, sun protection, and deodorant)
- Fragrance (men’s and women’s)
- Color cosmetics (including facial, lip, and eye)—asked among women only
- The following categories are excluded from the scope of this report:
- Oral care
- Nail products
- Shaving products
- Children’s and baby personal care products
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.