Nutritional and Performance Drinks - US - January 2014
“Functional claims are expanding across food and drink categories, as brands seek to differentiate themselves from the competition. The nutritional and performance drinks market should promote the fact that its products are engineered specifically for the functionality they promote, unlike other products for which claims such as protein delivery and hydration, are secondary.” – Beth Bloom, Food and Drink Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- How can companies better expand their consumer base?
- How can the category compete with increasing functional offerings across food and drink categories?
- What role does protein play in consumer beverage decisions?
- What is driving, or hindering, the nutritional and performance drink market?
- What is the current market size and future projections?
- What types of nutritional and performance drinks are most successful with consumers and why?
- How are retailers innovating with nutritional and performance drinks to better address consumer needs?
- What factors influence consumer behavior and what matters most to consumers?
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Nutritional drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes that offer nutrition and convenience, and fill a specific nutritional need, such as providing additional amounts of vitamins/minerals than are found in a regular diet or that are needed to support a special diet. Examples include Ensure, Glucerna, Boost, Slimfast and EAS Carb Control and also meal replacements such as Carnation Instant Breakfast.
- Sports drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes designed specifically to help people perform and recover better from physical activity (eg, Gatorade or Powerade).
- Protein drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes marketed for the health and other benefits of their high protein content (eg, Muscle Milk, Core Power, Kellogg’s Protein).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.