On-trade Soft Drinks - UK - December 2009
The report focuses on soft drinks bought for consumption in the on-trade, outside of the home.
- Cash-squeezed consumers have been cutting back on eating/drinking out. As a result, sales of on-trade soft drinks have declined by 6% (by value) between 2007 and 2009 in sharp contrast to 2004-2007 when sales grew steadily (8% by value).
- Mintel’s research shows 29 million adults resent paying what they perceive to be very high prices for soft drinks in a pub or bar when they know they can buy it for so much cheaper in shops.
- Pubs, bars and restaurants primarily sell non-diet versions of soft drinks. Yet on-trade outlets are not maximising the potential opportunity as 32 million adults think they should stock a healthier range of soft drinks.
- Eight in ten people prefer to drink soft drinks rather than alcohol at lunchtime.
- The on-trade soft drinks market is dominated by Britvic and Coca Cola Enterprises (CCE) who between them account for 80% of the market (by value).
- Despite struggling for some years in the off-trade, Pepsi (owned by Britvic) is the joint top selling brand (along with Coca Cola) in the on-trade. The brand has benefited from Britvic’s state-of-the-art dispensing technology.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.