Online and Mobile Shopping - US - March 2012
Changes in consumer electronics ownership and cellular data services are creating scenarios that promote online sales: smartphone apps allow consumers to scan barcodes when at brick-and-mortar retailers and help them determine whether immediacy is of sufficient value to incur the price difference; tablets present a larger screen for mobile shopping, and retailers continue to release shopping apps optimized for smartphone and tablet usage. Even outside of the mobile arena, home access to broadband is still on the rise. Within this environment, Mintel’s custom consumer research for this report explores the following questions:
- Which are the leading online retailers and how have they become successful? How dominant is Amazon?
- Which consumers are the heaviest online buyers? Which are the heaviest mobile shoppers?
- What attitudes and motivations influence the demographics that spend the most online?
- How does hardware ownership impact behavior? How do the categories purchased differ between PC shopping and mobile shopping?
- Are payment services important to loyalty? Do mobile buyers prefer apps or browsers?
- How frequently is barcode scanning accomplished? How often do people utilize daily deal sites? How often do they seek out mobile coupons?
- Does the rise of online sales suggest that there will be a tipping point at which they become the norm?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.