Online Retailing - Ireland - June 2011
This report analyses the dynamics of the online retailing sector in Ireland, and assesses the factors driving and limiting growth in online shopping by Irish consumers. Being a distribution channel rather than a market in its own right, in addition to encompassing a huge range of different product and service types, there are obvious difficulties in any attempt to quantify the market for online shopping. This is further complicated by the fact that a significant proportion of online shopping by Irish consumers is conducted through overseas or offshore retailers’ online websites. Such transactions are not recorded in official statistics.
Mintel has estimated the market size based on several key factors and data sources: government statistics from NISRA and CSO, previous Mintel market size estimates (see Mintel’s How Have Irish Companies and Consumers Embraced Online Shopping? – Ireland, May 2010) and using UK market trends as a benchmark.
Some of the key definitions in this report include:
- 3D Secure is the collective term for a security tool for online transactions developed by Visa (called Verified by Visa) and MasterCard (called MasterCard SecureCode). The security measures provide a more secure approach to credit and debit card transactions over the internet. Cardholders register their card details and secret passphrases with their card issuers for use during Internet shopping to verify their identities. This tool allows cardholders to verify themselves with Internet retailers who are not in a position to swipe the card or obtain a PIN (source: Irish Payment Services Organisation).
- Online transactions are defined as any purchases by consumers where the act of ordering and giving payment details is completed entirely using the internet, wherever the goods are collected from or delivered to at the end of the purchase process. This therefore includes items bought online for collection from the store.
- Online shopping is, in simple terms, the process whereby consumers purchase products, goods or services over the internet.
- Pure play retailers are those retailers that trade exclusively online. The pure play retailers mentioned in this report include Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Play.com. These are categorised as ‘mail order’ retailers under the UK’s Office for National Statistics classifications.
- Multi-channel retailers are retailers that trade both online and through stores and/or catalogues, ie a multi-channel approach.
- High street or store-based retailers are those retailers that trade exclusively through a physical store or chain of stores.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.