Oral Care - UK - June 2015
“Whilst the essential nature of oral care products means that usage is relatively high across most demographics, there remains an opportunity for oral care brands to grow sales by targeting marketing and NPD at seniors and men, helping to make them more engaged with the market overall.”
– Jack Duckett, Consumer Lifestyle Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Engaging with the senior oral care market
- Nudging men into better oral care habits
- Bolstering sales in the mouthwash market
Whilst the essential nature of toothbrushes and toothpaste means that that portion of the market is relatively protected in terms of sales, recent media attention over the supposed link between excessive mouthwash usage and oral cancers have likely contributed to reduced usage of the segment; mouthwashes formulated with naturally derived ingredients could therefore help dispel concerns and attract lapsed users. Brands could also look to further grow sales by further appealing to men and seniors, two groups which have historically proven to be less engaged in oral care.
This report explores the different types of oral care products people use and their underlying oral health concerns. In addition, this report investigates what indicators people use to signify that they have cleaned their teeth properly, and also looks at brushing techniques.
This report covers the UK consumer market for oral hygiene products, including products in the following categories:
- Toothbrushes – standard manual, electric (rechargeable), battery-powered (non-rechargeable), replacement toothbrush heads, travel brushes and combined toothbrush/tongue scrapers
- Toothpaste – including pastes, gels, polish and powder formats
- Mouthwash/rinse – primarily for the maintenance of dental and oral hygiene, includes medicated and non-medicated
- Denture products – cleaners and fixatives and cleaners for orthodontic appliances
- Dental accessories/ancillaries – includes cosmetic whitening products, eg gels, fresh breath dental chewing gum (eg Colgate Whitening Dental Gum) with product licences for the treatment and maintenance of oral hygiene, tongue scrapers, fresh breath strips and other breath fresheners, dental floss/tape, nterdental sticks and brushes, disclosing tablets.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.