Organic Food and Drink - Ireland - December 2011
The organic food and drink market in Ireland was growing strongly between 2005 and 2008, until the economic downturn began to affect it negatively from late 2009 onwards. As a result of the poor economic climate, Irish consumers are now shrewder than they were previously and this has had an impact on their view of organic food, most notably, whether it is worth paying extra for. A further issue of importance is the publication of research questioning the health benefits of organic food when compared to normal produce.
This report examines current views of Irish consumers towards organic food and drink, and how it competes with other types of specialty food (ie free-from, fair trade, etc).
Some questions answered in the report include:
- How has the sale of organic food been impacted by the economic downturn? – How has the tendency by Irish consumers to cut back on spending affected the organic food market? As the economy recovers what will happen?
- Are any products performing buoyantly amid the economic downturn? – What types of organic food and drink have performed well in the recession?
- What are the main drivers for the purchase of organic food? – Why do Irish consumers buy organic food? Have their motivations changed between 2007 and 2011?
- What factors discourage a consumer from purchasing organic food? – What stops Irish consumers from buying organic food? Is price the overriding factor?
- Do ethics play a strong role in the consumer purchase of food? – With cost being more important to consumers as the cost of living increases, is there still room to pay for ethical products?
- How does organic compare against other trends in the food industry in terms of importance? – What other trends do consumers follow? Is functional food or other types of speciality food gaining ground?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.