Organic Food - UK - October 2010
This report covers the UK retail market for organic food produced according to organic principles and standards. This includes fruit and vegetables, meat and poultry, dairy products, fish and seafood, eggs, prepared foods and groceries, cereal products, baby and toddler foods and infant formula. It includes organic foods that are fresh, frozen or ambient.
- Eight million consumers consider “organic” to be an important issue when deciding what food and drink to buy. This is especially the case for 16-34-year-olds, and offers potential for organic food producers as their numbers are forecast to grow by 4% in the next five years.
- Grocery multiples are running the risk of losing sales from valuable organic food buyers as 19 million would buy more organic foods if there was greater availability in their local supermarket.
- Organic food products that emphasise their local provenance could attract consumers not currently buying organic foods as 56% of consumers consider locally sourced to be more important than organic.
- There is potential for future growth in the organic food category as 26% of consumers are buying more organic food and drink now than a year ago.
- Greater government support is needed to help consumers better understand how food production impacts on the environment, as 18½ million consumers who currently do not buy organic foods are not taking into account ethical issues when buying food.
- Marketing communication campaigns promoting the benefits of organic foods need to include an explanation of the relatively higher cost of organic foods, as 78% of consumers who do not buy organic foods at present feel the extra cost is not justified.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.