OTC Analgesics and Cough, Cold and Flu Remedies - UK - May 2019
Covered in this report
This report covers only OTC, non-prescription medication, defined by the Proprietary Association of Great Britain as being: ‘Specifically designed to treat the symptoms of common, minor and self-limiting ailments that do not require a medical diagnosis.’
They are divided into two categories:
- P: Pharmacy-only products, which can only be sold through pharmacies by or in the presence of a qualified pharmacist
- GSL: General Sales List, which can be sold in any type of outlet.
This report also covers the UK consumer market for OTC cold and flu remedies, cough remedies and decongestants, comprising:
- Cold remedies: for the treatment of colds, including capsules, tablets, syrups and liquid, powders, hot drinks, caplets and meltlets
- Decongestants: for the relief of stuffy, blocked up nasal passages, available as embrocation or rub nasal inhalants and oral decongestants
- Flu remedies: for the treatment of flu, including capsules, tablets, syrups and liquids, powders, hot drinks, caplets and meltlets
- Cough remedies: for the relief of coughing, available as syrups and liquids
- Medicated confectionery: for the relief of sore throats, nasal congestion and coughing.
“There remains significant potential yet to be realised within the topical analgesic segment, particularly if brands can focus on differentiating their products more clearly from oral pain relief products. In addition, given the consumer trend towards looking at health more holistically, brands in the analgesic and cough, cold and flu remedy space can also look to develop new products to diversify their focus away from remedies into prevention and recovery.”
– Hera Crossan, Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Potential still exists for topical analgesics
- Holistic approaches could offer growth
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.