OTC Painkillers and Cold and Flu Remedies - UK - June 2011
Since the beginning of the recession in 2008, the market for OTC pain and cold/flu remedies has experienced a decline in value sales. According to Mintel’s consumer research, the active ingredients contained in OTC medication are more important than the brand of medication.
- The OTC pain and cold/flu market needs to try to increase usage among 16-24-year-olds, who have a high incidence for suffering from pain and cold/flu symptoms, but lower usage.
- Commissioned research for this report shows that around a quarter of consumers wait until they are really suffering from pain or cold/flu symptoms before they medicate.
- With 16-24-year-olds twice as likely as general owners to use mobile internet on a daily basis, OTC brands could introduce free mobile apps which can show users the percentage of people suffering from cold/flu in any given postcode in the UK, the types of symptoms that are most prevalent and which ones to look out for in a specific area. The application could also keep users updated on the latest cold and flu news and updates on the weather so they are prepared no matter where they are.
- The 25-34-year-olds, who are the heaviest users of OTC cold and flu remedies (see The Consumer – Attitudes towards OTC Pain and Cold/Flu Remedies) are the most likely to take cold and flu remedies as soon as they experience symptoms.
- Those in employment and those who are earning in excess of £50,000 are more likely to be interested in buying OTC remedies that are fast acting, as opposed to those who are unemployed or on lower incomes.
- The taste and flavour of OTC medication is an important purchase driver for 16-24-year-olds in particular. When buying OTC cold/flu remedies, over half of 16-24-year-olds buy lozenges to treat symptoms. OTC cold/flu brands may focus on improving the taste of lozenges by introducing new flavours such as açaì berry flavour.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.