OTC Pediatrics - US - August 2012
The OTC pediatrics category has estimated total U.S. 2012 sales of $1.4 billion with an increase of 7.5% versus a year ago. As impressive at that figure is, it would undoubtedly be even larger if not for a number of recalls in recent years from high-profile companies such as Johnson & Johnson. Any type of recall can be a cause for concern, but when it involves products where the end user is a child, it can test a parent’s confidence in a product and ultimately their brand loyalty. That being said, there are other market factors that will influence the future performance of OTC pediatrics. As the healthcare debate rages on in this country with some uncertainty as to how it will ultimately be decided, consumers will likely be responsible for more effectively managing their healthcare. It is quite possible that this will lead to more use of OTC pediatrics, as families with children are typically on a tighter budget and may be reluctant to make a doctor visit unless it is absolutely necessary. When dealing with minor ailments, OTC pediatrics may indeed suffice.
Given the size of the category, it is clear that OTC pediatrics is an important market to both manufacturers and retailers. With this in mind, Mintel has taken an in-depth look at the category to examine the factors that have the greatest potential to both negatively and positively impact it. Among the critical topics examined in this report are:
- What market drivers are likely to have the greatest impact, and what can manufacturers and retailers do to effectively manage challenges and maximize opportunities?
- What do purchasers of OTC pediatrics consider to be the most important factors when making a purchase decision? In general, what is their attitude toward private label given the troubles that some name brand manufacturers have had in terms of quality control?
- Which segments have been performing best, and which ones have been holding the category back? Who are the top brands and what are they doing to stay on top?
- Which retail channels are conducive to the sale and merchandising of OTC pediatrics? How have the various store formats been performing of late, and what if anything can be done to operate more effectively?
- What are some of the leading brands doing in terms of marketing strategies, and what lessons can other marketers learn from them? What role, if any, do emerging marketing tools such as Facebook and YouTube play in trying to connect with key target audiences?
- How much of a role do demographic factors (e.g., age, household income, gender, and race) have on consumers’ buying habits?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.