Packaged Red Meat - US - March 2019
Covered in this report
The report covers retail sales of beef, pork, and lamb in all forms, including ready to eat and heat and eat. The following types of red meat are included:
- Beef – including ground beef, steaks, roasts, and other cuts of beef
- Pork – pork chops, pork cutlets, and other cuts
- Other red meat – lamb, mutton, goat, bison, venison, and other game meats
"Health and environmental impact issues continue to pose challenges to the category, but despite that, red meats remain solidly entrenched in consumer diets. Sales for red meat made modest gains, with beef driven mostly by price increases and declines with pork, triggered by overproduction. Adjusted for inflation, the category is flat. This reflects reported consumer behavior; the majority of consumers report unchanged consumption since last year. While there is some reported attrition, there is also a smaller group of consumers who have increased consumption in a quest for enhanced protein and nutrients. While versatility and convenience are notable assets, taste and enjoyment are the steadfast driver for the category."
- Michael Averbook, Food & Drink Analyst
This Report looks at the following areas:
- Despite a tarnished reputation, category makes modest sales gains
- Red meats’ bad rap is catching up with it
- Consumers “aging” out of the category
- Strike while the iron is hot with 25-44 year olds
- Target accepters with protein, nutrients, and exploration
- Focus on clean
- Improved packaging, downsizing
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.