Pharmaceuticals Consumer - US - March 2011
Sales of all pharmaceuticals have been steadily rising, from $280.4 billion in 2007, to $296.7 billion in 2009. Behind these positive numbers, however, is a category facing numerous challenges and opportunities. This report examines how consumers view pharmaceuticals, and covers the following:
- Factors driving sales of pharmaceuticals, including an aging population, unhealthy lifestyles, and price moves by brand drug makers
- Challenges confronting brand name pharmaceuticals, including the growth of generics, the loss of patent protection for best-selling drugs, and price wars at chain drug stores, as well as the changing face of health insurance coverage
- Treatment methods consumers turn to—including prescription drugs, over-the-counter (OTC) remedies and alternative medicine—for a range of non-life-threatening ailments
- Respondents’ impressions of pharmaceuticals and attitudes toward associated side effects
- The tendency of respondents to ask for brand drugs versus generics
- Specific marketing recommendations for building brand awareness and consumer interest, such as creating unbranded websites and partnering with celebrities
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.