Poker - UK - September 2009
- In 2008, the online poker market, measured in gross gaming yield, reached £265 million, little changed on 2007. Gross gaming yield in 2009 is anticipated to decline. Each player is spending, on average, almost 20% less per year than in 2007.
- The typical poker player is a 18-35-year-old male of moderate to high affluence and typically a tabloid newspaper reader.
- Both online and offline, Texas hold ‘em is today the most popular poker game around the world. It was responsible for something in the region of 60% of poker gross gaming yield in 2008.
- Reasons for playing poker can be summarised as emotional (thrill), cerebral (strategy) and hearts and mind (a mixed of the previous two). As players age, the strategy driver tends to grow in importance and the thrill driver diminishes.
- Brand loyalty is weak. Special offers, such as sign-up bonuses can help attract the third of users who use different sites to take advantage of offers.
- Lapsed poker players give four main reasons: disenchantment with the game, costs of playing, social pressures and time pressures.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.