Portable Media Players - UK - November 2010
This report examines strategies and methods for PMPs to stay relevant in the coming smartphone era. It explores how companies can broaden the appeal of PMPs to reach audiences outside the core market of 16-25s. It examines the impact of Apple’s iPod product range on the overall market, and assesses how Apple’s dominant position can effectively be challenged.
- Apple is by far the most popular PMP brand, with over one in three Internet users owning an iPod. The nearest competitors are Sony (15%), Creative (5%) and Samsung (4%). In each case, PMP devices released by these companies have not yet been able to replicate the iPod’s mass market appeal.
- Londoners are more likely to own PMPs, with Apple being the most popular brand. Exactly one in two Londoners own an iPod, compared to about one in three overall. High usage is indicative of the stylisation of the market in recent years, and a tech fashionista culture often more prominent in urban communities.
- Only 55% of PMP owners use their device at least once a week, however 16-24s are far more active users with nearly three in four using their device at least once a week. By contrast, over-55-year-old owners are the group most likely to use their device less then once a month.
- Amazon.co.uk ranks as the most popular outlets for buying PMPs, with one in four PMP owners buying via the site. The Argos store (12%), eBay (8%) and Currys (6%) rank as the next most popular outlets.
- Nearly two in three PMP owners rank capacity and brand as important factors when choosing a PMP. Over one in two see brand as important. Less then one in five place importance on good video quality, touch screen controls and Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Over half of PMP owners say they will only replace their device if it breaks, and about one in three don’t care about added features as long as the music sounds good.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.