Portable Technology - US - June 2009
The portable technology market is constantly changing, based on customer needs and technological advances. This report explores the shifts and overlapping between cell phones and MP3 players, as well as competing products—the number of which keeps growing in time with convergence. The report presents ways for manufacturers to stay competitive both in terms of marketing and product development, in the existing MP3-player market and against competing technologies. This includes fine-tuning content offerings and features, identifying niche markets, and how to reach current owners and court new consumer groups.
More specifically, this report addresses the following questions:
- What is the current level of penetration and what segments under- and over-index on usage?
- What is the current size of the cellular handset market and what types of devices will drive growth?
- What recent innovations are shaping current demand and the markets of the future?
- What features and decision-making criteria have the greatest impact on the probability that a consumer will select a certain model of cellular phone or MP3 player?
- How are companies marketing portable devices and what approaches are likely to become more important?
- What segments provide the greatest sales opportunities for portable device manufacturers?
- How the continuing shift toward smartphones is about to cause substantial changes to the market as consumers focus on interface and functionality in addition to product design?
- What is Apple’s role in the market and how can other manufacturers compete?
- What is the role of children and teens in future market expansion?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.