Potable Water (Industrial Report) - UK - April 2014
“As the majority of capital projects driven by legislative requirements in the water and sewerage industry are now complete, a shift in focus is expected during the next five-year regulatory period 2015-20 (AMP6), with companies likely to concentrate on effective asset management and maintenance rather than capital replacement. Changes in the regulatory environment going into AMP6 also mean that there will be less emphasis on capital expenditure over the coming years, instead companies will focus on total expenditure and take a ‘whole life cost’ approach to delivering the most effective solutions.”
– Claudia Preedy, Industrial Analyst
This report will explore the following key questions facing the UK Potable Water industry:
- What are the key drivers for capital investment in the water and sewerage industry?
- What have been the water-related capital expenditure patterns by individual water and sewerage companies during the last five years?
- Is there a shift from capital projects investment towards asset maintenance?
- How will changes in the regulatory environment for the Asset Management Period 2015-20 (AMP6) affect the industry’s approach to capital investment?
- What are water and sewerage companies’ proposals for total expenditure for AMP6?
Reference is made in this report to certain categories of capital expenditure, as reported by water and sewerage companies, which are detailed below:
- Infrastructure renewal expenditure (IRE): refers to the actual expenditure incurred in the financial year in maintaining the operating capability of infrastructure assets through renewal or renovation of those assets.
- Maintenance non-infrastructure (MNI): refers to all actual or historic expenditure charged to capital maintenance noninfrastructure.
- Infrastructure enhancements – refers to total infrastructure expenditure for enhancement purposes
- Non-infrastructure enhancements – refers to total non-infrastructure expenditure for enhancement purposes
Throughout this report the term capital expenditure refers to gross expenditure rather than investment, which is more often quoted by individual companies. The report is based on the acquisition of tangible fixed assets, and for this reason, investment is segmented into the following:
- Process plant
- Civil engineering
For the water and sewerage industry, the definitions of each area of expenditure is as follows:
- Process plant: plant and machinery
- Civil engineering: land and buildings, infrastructure and assets, such as water mains, sewers, impounding and raw water storage, reservoirs, dams and sea outfalls, specialised operational properties and structures including intake works, pumping stations, treatment works and bore holes
- Building: assets in the course of consumption
- Other: fixtures and equipment, vehicles and mobile plant and other non-operational activities
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.