Poultry - UK - October 2014
“Social media offers a potential channel for operators to convey the high standards of living of their poultry, eg through video footage. Elements of gamification, which enable consumers to interact with poultry, can help to generate interest in their welfare.”
– Emma Clifford, Senior Food Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Social media can be used to heighten young people’s interest in the welfare of poultry
- Pre-cooked and oven-ready chicken products can boost their appeal by targeting consumers’ concerns about cooking chicken safely
- Driving the visibility of game should help grocers to unlock the widespread interest in these products
Eaten by over nine in 10 adults, poultry is a popular choice among Britons, helped by its healthy image and perceived versatility. Its low cost positioning - particularly when compared to red meat and fish – has seen it thrive throughout the recession and its aftermath. The market has also seen very low levels of inflation when compared to the overall food market. Value sales of the total poultry and game market have grown by 36% between 2009 and 2014, with the strongest growth coming from processed poultry.
Game remains a niche market, capturing just 2% of spend on poultry and game. However, there has been a hike in game sales in 2014, with annual growth estimated at 9%, bringing the total value of the market to £97 million. There remains significant growth potential in game, given the interest from a sizeable minority of the population in trying these products, according to Mintel’s consumer research.
Poultry is defined for the purposes of this report as comprising retail sales of processed and unprocessed chicken, turkey and other poultry (duck and goose) for in-home consumption.
Unprocessed/raw poultry and game includes:
- All primary cuts – fresh or frozen meat in whole-bird or portion format, including poultry which has been marinated or glazed with a sauce.
Processed and cooked poultry and game includes:
- Frozen poultry and game including coated eg breadcrumbs or battered
- Chilled added-value poultry includes poultry and game which has been taken a step further than adding a marinade or sauce eg breaded, battered and formed products.
- Game meat includes grouse, guinea fowl, venison, pheasant, partridge, wood pigeon, wild duck, wild boar, rabbit and hare.
- For the purposes of this report, game may be either quarry or farmed. The essential difference is that the former is indigenous to the UK, lives in the wild and is hunted during specified seasons, while farmed product is available most of the year.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.