Poultry - US - December 2010
The U.S. retail poultry market gained 31% during 2005-10, topping an estimated $41 billion in 2010. It enjoys a healthy halo compared to red meat, thanks to its lower fat content. Additionally, its low cost has made it more attractive to cost-cutting consumers in the past five years. Lastly, it’s flexibility as a food ingredient lends itself to many applications in meals and snacks.
In the past year, however, competition from value-based restaurant meals began cutting in on poultry sales and threaten to hamper market growth unless manufacturers can keep poultry consumers engaged with innovative recipes and convenient, ready-to-eat (RTE) preparations.
In this report, Mintel answers the following questions:
- How did the economic downturn positively affect poultry sales? Will the trend continue?
- Among the three segments considered in this study: chicken parts, whole chicken and other poultry, which fared best in terms of sales? Growth? Which is best poised for expansion in the future?
- Which retail outlets are consumers using to get the best deals on poultry products?
- Which companies and brands lead sales in the poultry market? Among those gaining share in this mature market, what is their selling advantage?
- What types of marketing claims are being used to attract consumer interest? What innovative brands stand out in the marketplace? Which companies lead new product development?
- What are major themes in television advertising, and are they syncing up with consumer needs? To what extent are companies utilizing social media outlets?
- With poultry’s 94% market penetration, what differences exist among users by age, gender and household income? How can marketers and product developers meet their specific needs?
- What nuances differentiate poultry consumers from differing races/ethnicities, and how can marketers and retailers best target them?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.