Poultry - US - November 2013
“Fears related to the safety of poultry, due in part to recent foodborne illnesses, have consumers on high alert. Additionally, health concerns related to high cholesterol and fat intake from consuming meat has Americans seeking alternate protein options. To calm these fears, manufacturers must focus on implementing transparent manufacturing and animal welfare policies, as well as highlighting the positive health and economic benefits of eating poultry.”
– Amanda Topper, Food Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- How will concerns about food safety impact consumer purchases?
- Will the trend in meat reduction and healthy eating hurt the category?
- Is there relief in sight from high poultry costs?
The $32.8-billion poultry market has grown 22% from 2008-13, as increased affordability due to lower feed costs and preferences for leaner animal proteins increased. Concerns about poultry safety continue to play a role in the category; however, an increasing number of manufacturers are building consumer trust of their products by communicating transparent manufacturing processes and animal-welfare policies.
Mintel here provides a comprehensive analysis of the following factors that have the greatest potential to impact the category’s performance:
- How different poultry segments have been performing in recent years, and how new product innovation (including foodservice) is impacting sales trends for the category as a whole and in each of its segments
- Rates of poultry consumption, usage, and purchases
- Reasons for using poultry
- Consumer attitudes toward poultry
- Current product positioning and what marketing strategies make the most sense given the various target audiences that manufacturers are trying to connect with to maximize sales opportunities
- Exploration of the increased use of other types of poultry including turkey, duck, and Cornish hens
- Which brands are gaining, which are losing, and why, within the market
This report focuses primarily on uncooked poultry, both fresh and frozen, sold through retail channels for consumption at home.
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions for the poultry category:
fresh and frozen chicken parts, including boneless cuts
fresh and frozen whole chickens
other poultry, fresh and frozen—this segment is primarily turkey, but also includes duck and other specialty birds.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.