Premium Soft Drinks - UK - January 2010
- Although small, this market is growing quickly and is now worth £105million. Premium soft drinks are more upmarket, adult soft drinks which usually come in premium packaged glass bottles and generally contain natural, more unusual and better quality ingredients e.g. Shloer’s white grape and elderflower juice and Belvoir organic ginger beer.
- Demand for more adult/better quality soft drinks has grown from, among other things: a rise in ABC1s, meaning that as many as seven in ten now think it is “worth paying extra for quality goods” (TGI data); and legislative changes limiting advertising to kids e.g. the ban on advertising less healthy soft drinks on TV for under under-16s.
- Currently, the market struggles from low consumer awareness. For example, a fifth of the UK population have not heard of any brands within the sector, while only the long-established brand leaders (Shloer and Appletiser) are recognised by more than half the population.
- That many players in the market are small, local, farming companies may mean less resources for building awareness, but offers a chance to tap into growing consumer desire for more authentic, locally produced British products. For example, TGI data shows that 48% of people buy goods produced in their own country whenever they can, an increase of 10 % points since 2005.
- Health benefits are most likely to persuade consumers to dig deeper into their pockets. For example, 18 million UK consumers would be willing to pay more for a soft drink with natural ingredients; while, 16 million would do so if the drink contained healthier ingredients; or if there was low sugar/calorie content without compromising taste.
- Targeting mealtime occasions either in-home or the on-trade is a prime opportunity. For example, 20 million UK adults are most likely to buy a soft drink to accompany a meal in pubs/bars/restaurants, with 18 million doing the same for meals at home.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.