Private Label Food - US - November 2011
While private label food sales and market share continue to rise, the pace of growth has slowed considerably since 2008 when a one-two punch of spiking inflation and deepening recession drove many consumers to less expensive store brands. Looking ahead, factors such as a weak economic recovery, shaky consumer confidence, and increasingly positive consumer perceptions of store-brand quality point to the potential for continued growth in private label food sales and share. Leading private label retailers understand that realizing the potential of private label requires not only quality products but also increasingly sophisticated marketing. This report provides an in-depth analysis of the U.S. private label food market and explores:
- The impact of macro-level economic trends on private label food sales
- Private label sales and private label share of total sales across major food departments, as well as in key product categories within those departments
- Key themes that are emerging as leading private label retailers expand and refine their store-brand portfolios
- A perspective on why improved product quality alone will not be enough to reignite store brand sales and market share growth
- How leading retailers are evolving the marketing of store brands beyond trial-building to a greater focus on long-term relationships
- Insight into the demographics of store brands on an overall basis and within major product categories
- Mintel’s exclusive consumer research on attitudes and behaviors concerning private label food
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.