Refrigerators, Freezers and Dishwashers - US - November 2010
The market for refrigerators, freezers and dishwashers has seen inflation-adjusted sales fall 4.2% from 2008-2010 as the collapse of the housing market, low consumer confidence and the stagnant renovation market have driven down demand. In 2010, the government Cash for Appliances program did however boost demand for energy-efficient appliances and there will likely be pent-up demand as the economy recovers.
This report probes the impact of the downturn on the market and analyzes consumer data to offer strategies for future growth. It examines which demographic groups warrant the most focus and which products will best appeal to them. It also explores major areas of new product development and innovation, analyzing these too in the context of consumer preferences and attitudes. It examines trends in major segments, the sales of major suppliers, in addition to branding, marketing and advertising approaches.
Key consumer trends and attitudes are examined by demographic groups including:
- Which groups currently own combination refrigerator/freezers, freestanding refrigerators and freezers, portable and built-in dishwashers? Which groups are most likely to buy them used, as opposed to new?
- How much are different consumer groups spending on their appliances and when did they purchase them?
- What motivated the most recent purchase? Which groups are more likely to be replacing an old or broken machine and which are making a first time purchase? Which groups are most likely to upgrade from a functioning appliance to get a new look, added features or updated style?
- How does homeownership shape purchasing and product selection?
- Which groups are willing to spend more on energy-efficient appliances?
- In combination refrigerator/ freezers, which styles are most widely owned and most widely desired? Which groups are most likely to seek added features such as water/ice dispensers? Which prefer stainless steel or black products?
- Where do consumers purchase their appliances? What demographic factors shape retail choice?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.