Residential Flooring - US - August 2010
Flooring market sales fell from 2006-10 as the collapse of the housing market and wider recession drove down demand. Consumers have held off on floor replacements, set aside major renovations and traded down to less expensive products. The result is an extremely competitive landscape that nonetheless has the potential for significant growth when pent-up demand is released in the future. This report examines overall market size and segment trends to analyze which types of flooring have best weathered the recession and offer the best prospects for growth in 2010 and beyond. It examines major suppliers, retail trends and innovations in carpet, hardwood, laminate, ceramic tile, stone and vinyl. It also probes the branding and advertising strategies of major players in the market. It looks at a variety of market drivers, including the impact of green building codes, new legislation and eco-friendly products.
Consumer data are analyzed by key demographic groups as well as custom groups, probing questions such as:
- What have been the trends in purchasing over the past decade and especially over the past two years? Which types of flooring have been most recently purchased and by which groups?
- Where are consumers installing new flooring?
- What motivates purchase of new flooring: replacement, home renovation, moving or interest in new flooring products and “greener” flooring options?
- What are the top considerations of different consumers when seeking new flooring: price, durability, style, color, brand, eco-friendly materials or other features?
- Which retail channels do diverse consumer groups use to purchase new flooring? Where do they get information prior to purchase? What attention do they give to websites, magazine ads, TV ads or in-store information?
- What are consumer attitudes towards “green” products? How do they view the available selection of products such as carpet and hardwood? How do these attitudes in turn shape purchasing behavior?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.