Schoolwear - UK - November 2010
The schoolwear market has been gradually changing as a result of the rising influence of the main supermarket chains, which has led to the price of school uniform garments falling to an all-time low over the last few years. Aggressive price wars between supermarkets have driven the price of school clothing down and meant that other key players in the sector such as high street retailers, department stores and specialist retailers, have struggled to compete.
- The schoolwear market has had a tough few years, falling by 11% since Mintel’s last report was published in 2007 as the sector has suffered from price deflation. However, sales value has not fallen as drastically as feared, as the fall in the price of uniforms has been countered by more secondary schools introducing stricter uniform policies.
- The supermarket chains have rapidly expanded their share of the childrenswear market, including schoolwear, as they have been at the forefront of aggressively cutting the price of school uniform. They are currently estimated by Mintel to have around 40% of the total schoolwear market.
- Specialist schoolwear shops have lost market share as they struggle to compete with the prices offered by supermarkets and multiple high street retailers.
- Parents with primary school-age children (ie under-10s) are most inclined to buy schoolwear from whichever shop is cheapest.
- Secondary school parents, on the other hand, are more likely than those with primary school children to buy the best quality schoolwear. They also show a tendency to spend more on items that will last longer.
- Three in ten (29%) parents agree that not enough retailers stock schoolwear all year round. Women and ABs are most interested in year-round availability of schoolwear.
- Secondary school-aged children are very interested in being fashionable and several retailers have responded to this demand, with Tesco launching a mini-skirt as part of its school uniform range and M&S offering a fashion-led schoolwear line.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.