Seasonal and Boxed Chocolates - UK - August 2010
- The importance of NPD activity and marketing support in the run up to the major festive periods cannot be underestimated as 25m adults bought boxed or seasonal chocolates as a gift for someone at Christmas while 17 million bought them at Easter.
- Manufacturers should look to develop packing options that are edible or use easily recyclable materials to cater for the 13 million adults that admit that they avoid buying boxed chocolates with excessive packaging.
- Ethical considerations are increasingly important in new product launches for chocolate confectionery, however only a fifth of adults agree that it is important that the chocolate they buy is fair-trade.
- Own label boxed chocolate manufacturers need to position their product ranges as an acceptable gift option; almost half of all consumers (49%) agree that they would not consider giving someone own label boxed/seasonal chocolate as a gift.
- Retailers and manufacturers should make better use of cross-branding opportunities between boxed chocolates and other gifting items; 12.5m adults agree that chocolates are not enough of a gift on their own.
- With tightening budgets and relatively less disposable income, just over a third (36%) of consumers agree that they take advantage of special offers to stock up on boxed or seasonal chocolates.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.