Seasonal Vacation Trends - US - February 2016
"The leisure travel industry is in an upswing. Parents of children under 18 years are heavy travelers, especially in the summer when a majority of them take at least one vacation. Winter is the least common season for vacation travel but also when there is disparity between vacations planned and taken, which points to an opportunity to provide these parents with options to accomplish their desire to travel."
- Rupa Ghosh, Travel & Leisure Analyst
This report looks at the following issues:
- Overall leisure travel market growing – but spending per trip declining
- Key target – households with children – in decline
- Kids influence vacation decisions
- Time and money: key constraints limiting vacation length
New business models in hospitality such as the sharing economy and other demographic factors such as the declining number of families with children and the changing composition of the family are bringing new challenges to the family vacation market. However, Millennial/younger parents and Baby Boomer grandparents, as well as the growth of the Hispanic population, will drive demand for the leisure family vacation market.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Vacation is travel for leisure purposes that includes at least one overnight stay away from home. Business travel is excluded.
- Parents are adults aged 18+ who are the parent/guardian of any children <18 who currently live in the household.
- Seasons for vacation travel are defined as summer (June-August), fall (September-November), winter (December-February), and spring (March-May).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.