Shampoo, Conditioners and Styling Products - UK - April 2013
“A tough economic climate has resulted in a ‘want it all’ attitude amongst consumers. They have come to expect additional product benefits but don’t want to pay a premium for them. Creating an experience around haircare brands is likely to win over consumers who increasingly value expert opinion and advice. It might be that this can help to re-establish the brand loyalty that was lost during recent years of aggressive price promotions.”
– Alexandra Richmond, Head of Beauty and Personal Care
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Could more interactive and experiential pop-up stores excite the consumer?
- Blow Dry Bars – an opportunity or a threat?
- Is it time for a rethink on product displays?
- 16-24s – how to get them excited?
- Men – what do they really want?
- How can online shopping turn boring everyday into a luxury treat?
Despite continued pressure on consumer spending, the UK’s haircare market gained momentum in 2012; sales rose by 5% to break through the £1 billion barrier. This report looks at factors underpinning market forces (demographic shifts, consumer behaviour and the recession) along with manufacturer and retailer efforts to harness or mitigate them: product developments, marketing concepts and retailer initiatives. Mintel also takes a view on the future of the market and which competing markets offer indicators of growth and trends.
This report includes:
- Shampoos: All types of shampoo for washing hair including beauty or standard shampoos as well as anti-dandruff/medicated types. Shampoo is also segmented by hair type and by formulae for men and babies and children. Also includes two-in-one shampoo and conditioner.
- Conditioners and treatments: Rinse-out and leave-in conditioners, intensive treatments such as hot oils, serums, masks and sprays.
- Styling products: All products that are used to style, sculpt or fix the hair.
These include mousses, gels, gel sprays, jelly, styling sprays, lotions, serums, gums, glue, paste, mud, clay, waxes, creams, milks, styling water, glosses and hairsprays.
Given the degree of overlap between product types, segments are classified according to method of delivery: gels, sprays, mousses, waxes, creams. Sales of shampoo, conditioner and styling products through all retail outlets and sold by hair salons for home use.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.