Shelf-stable Meals and Meal Kits - US - September 2010
This report explores the shelf stable meal and meal kits market. The three types of products in this report: complete packaged dinner mixes (53%), can/jar spaghetti/macaroni (53%) and shelf-to-microwave dinners (53%) have each maintained the same level of market penetration within 2 points during the period 2004-09 indicating a mature market. As with other products in the food and beverage industry— cost, convenience, taste and health are all key drivers in influencing the purchase of shelf stable meals. This report explores these aspects of the market as well as others including:
- The size of the market, its growth potential and how manufacturers can create differentiation between each segment
- What manufacturers and retailers can do to expand the market to new users. This includes how products like prepared pasta can be made more appealing to adults and how canned chili and sloppy joe can be repositioned as a convenient option for lunch
- Key brands’ performance in each segment, as well as challenges they face and how manufacturers are endeavoring to differentiate themselves from each other and other fast food competitors
- The impact that demographic shifts among Hispanics and households with children had on product sales during 2005-10; how 2010-15 population projections will affect changes in the market
- What innovative product positioning and attributes would best attract the time-starved health conscious society
- What new features and cuisines consumers would like to see more of in shelf stable meals
- What marketing strategies marketers are employing on television and online to reach consumers
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.