“Shopfitters will be heartened by economic indicators at the start of 2014, which suggest improved market conditions, though growth in demand is expected to be unevenly split across retail sectors.”
– Ben Harris, Industrial Analyst
This report explores the following issues facing UK shopfitters:
- What is the balance between refurbishment activity and new store fit-out in the UK and how is this likely to change moving forward?
- How are retailers’ actions affecting the price level in the shopfitting industry?
- What retail sectors will offer the most new business opportunities over the coming year?
- What trends in retail store environments will affect shopfitters in the next five years?
- What factors are influencing retailers’ decisions on shopfitting investment?
The shopfitting market includes a wide range of products and services that are used in the fitting out of predominantly, but not exclusively, retail establishments. The market involves a wide variety of skills and products, the majority of which are also utilised in other market sectors in the construction industry. These include the production and installation of:
- Internal wall cladding
- Windows and doors
- Raised access flooring
- Suspended ceilings
- Shop facias
- Electronic point of sale equipment
- Counters and furniture
- Dressing rooms
- Electronic display equipment
- Heating and ventilation equipment
The requirements of shopfitters depend largely on the sector involved, and specialist work is often subcontracted out to non-shopfitting specialists.
Shopfitters typically offer design facilities, although specialist designers and architects, who have no in-house production or installation facilities, and the work of specialist non-shopfitting companies are beyond the confines of this report.
The following criteria are mentioned in the report:
- Bespoke/standard fittings, with bespoke fittings representing custom-made products while standard products are often available “off the shelf”
- New build/refurbishment, with both sectors offering substantial opportunities for shopfitting companies
- Client sector, with different client sectors having vastly different requirements in terms of fitting, furniture, image and decor
- Materials, which differ from sector to sector, with wood, aluminium laminates and composites the widely specified finishes in the shopfitting sector