Single Lifestyles - US - February 2012
With fewer Americans marrying overall, those who do so are waiting longer to wed, and with an increasing divorce rate among older marrieds, singles are a growing population to consider in product positioning and marketing decisions.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are a record number of singles in the U.S., accounting for 102 million adults aged 18+, or 44% of total adults. The Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Expenditure Survey, released in September 2011, estimates that singles contribute $1.9 trillion to the U.S. economy annually. What’s more, only 51% of adults today are married and a total of 28% of households now consist of just one person—which is more than double the share compared with 1960.
The stigma associated with being single has faded and more singles are content with their singlehood. Therefore, understanding everyday habits, attitudes and opinions of this increasingly important consumer group is key to growing business.
In this report, Mintel examines attitudes and behaviors of singles, both in and out of the dating scene, and contrasts them with those of married consumers. Specifically, this report answers the following questions:
- What’s the demographic makeup of singles in the U.S.? Who are they and where do they live?
- What are the factors contributing to the increase in singles in the U.S., and how is this expected to change in the near term and long term?
- What are some of the marketing strategies being used to target singles?
- What is the financial outlook, budgeting and spending habits of singles?
- How do singles feel about their lifestyle compared with those in a relationship?
- How do singles and marrieds differ in their use of disposable income and participation in activities?
- What are opportunities in products and services for singles, and how do these opportunities differ for singles across age groups?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.