Small Kitchen Appliances - UK - December 2013
“Despite the economic gloom that has shrouded consumers in the last five years we have seen significant demand for coffee machines and food mixers. People’s love affair with good coffee stemmed from enjoying their coffee shop experiences and now they want to create coffee shop quality at home. And, what may have begun as a response to a rising need to be thriftier with the food budget has become a kitchen craft, as people want to create the indulgent treats they see on programmes like the Great British Bakeoff.”
– Jane Westgarth, Senior Retail Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Will the trend for café-quality coffee at home continue to drive demand for coffee makers?
- What features encourage people to pay extra when buying a coffee maker?
- Are people worried about the energy their small kitchen appliances use?
- What role does style play in shaping demand for small kitchen appliances?
- Is brand a deciding factor for small kitchen appliances?
Since 2008 the economy has been tough and consumers have seen their personal disposable income decline in real terms. Yet, small kitchen appliances have fared relatively well thanks to many households regarding some as a ‘must-have’ necessity – people will replace kettles and toasters straight away if they break down. Innovation and strong branding by suppliers has also helped to drive demand for added-value appliances, allowing them to compete with own-label basics. We have seen particularly strong demand for kitchen appliances (food mixers, food processors) and good quality coffee makers. People want to be able to create restaurant-quality dishes, high quality baked goods and coffee shop-quality coffee in their own homes.
Small kitchen appliances include:
- sandwich makers
- deep fat fryers
- bread makers
- table-top/health grills including raclettes, barbecue-style grills, crêpe makers, etc
- slow cookers
- electric steamers/rice cookers
- other electric table-top devices such as electric woks, plate warmers, mini-ovens, soup makers, jam makers, ice cream makers, etc
- food preparation equipment – including food processors, hand-held blenders, liquidisers, fixed-stand food mixers, hand-held food mixers and mini-blenders/choppers
- kettles – cordless or corded models, jug/coffee pot and traditional style and travel kettles
- hot beverage makers – filter coffee machines, espresso/cappuccino makers, combination filter/espresso/cappuccino machines, coffee percolators and electric tea makers
- electrical kitchen gadgets – juicers, electric can openers, carving knives, etc.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.