Snack, Nutrition and Performance Bars - US - May 2016
"Dollar sales of snack, nutrition, and performance bars grew in 2015, continuing the steady, though lackluster, pace seen over the past few years. Products in the category hit the mark in appealing to both the health and snack interests of consumers – viewed as a convenient contribution to healthy lifestyles. However, competition from other categories challenges stronger growth. Bars may be taking a backseat as snack options abound, along with food/drinks claiming functional benefits. Mintel predicts the slow and steady growth will continue through 2020."
-Beth Bloom, Senior Food & Drink Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Bar sales grow by 26% from 2010-15
- 57% of consumers purchase bars, snack bars rule
- Bars compete with growing array of snack options
For the purposes of this Report, snack, nutrition, and performance bars are covered as per the following definitions:
- Snack bars: Cereal and snack bars, such as Nutri-Grain; and granola bars, such as Nature Valley.
- Nutrition bars: Health/nutrition bars, including food bars that contain additional nutrients, such as fiber, protein (nonathletic), calcium, etc; also includes bars positioned as meal replacements (nonweight loss). Includes Balance, Quest, and others.
- Performance bars: Athletic bars used for fuel during athletic endeavors or to enhance physical fitness or exercise, such as PowerBar; includes performance-focused protein bars.
- Weight loss bars: Bars meant for diet and weight loss/weight management, such as Slim-Fast and Zone bars.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.