Snacking Eating Habits - Motivations and Attitudes - Canada - September 2016
Snacking is truly the fourth meal of the day for Canadians with its popularity extending to both in and out of home. Snacking is an adaptable occasion, and as such so must be manufacturers, retailers and foodservice operators to compete in the space. While health in snacking is important for many Canadians, it cannot be whittled down to only that area. Consumers also see snacking to enhance experiences, be a stand-in for a traditional meal and even as a support when stressed. The demands of snacking also change throughout the day with the need for health in the morning morphing into the desire for indulgence in the evening. Genders and age groups also have different needs and levels of demand from their snacks, and as such companies need to clearly identify what need they are or can meet to carve out their share of the preverbal pie when it comes to snacking.
This report examines the following issues:
- Older Canadians underdeveloped in snacking
- Ice cream sales growth frosty (over the long term)
- Fruit or vegetables
- Salty snack (eg chips, Cheezies, popcorn, nuts, etc)
- Ice cream or frozen treats
- Snack/granola/energy bar
- Cheese (eg cheese sticks, cottage cheese)
- Sweet baked goods (eg muffins, donuts, etc)
- Yogurt/ drinkable yogurt
- Foods typically eaten during traditional meals (small burger, pizza, etc)
- Dips (hummus, chip dip, salsa, etc).
- Brought it from home
- From a store (eg grocery store, convenience store, etc)
- From a restaurant or food truck (eg eat in or takeout)
- At an entertainment venue (eg movie, sports arena/stadium, etc)
- From a cafeteria (eg work or school)
- Got it from a vending machine.
- Before breakfast
- In place of breakfast
- Between breakfast and lunch
- In place of lunch
- Between lunch and dinner
- In place of dinner
- In the evening/before bed
- Late/middle of the night.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.