Social Network Gaming - US - November 2011
Based on Mintel’s consumer research about one in five adults played online games in the 30 days prior to their interviews in 2011, and according to Nielsen, an estimated 10% of time spent online is devoted to playing games—proof that online gaming is a source of entertainment for many adults. Yet only about one third of adults who play games on social networks or online sites spend money to play them. Advertising will continue to be an important revenue source for realizing the value of those who play for free, while an increase in the share of gamers who buy virtual goods or make other in-game purchases will prove critical for revenue growth going forward.
Facebook is the most popular social network gaming site. Yet despite enthusiasm about the power of social networks, the majority of adults who play games on social networks or online portals play alone most often. Changing this dynamic will be a critical component in the next phase of social game development. In this report, Mintel examines the growing social network/online portal gaming market, and answers the following questions:
- What is the historical, current and forecast revenue for social/online games?
- How are social/online games monetized? How does revenue from ads compare to revenue from in-game purchases?
- Who are the leading developers and distributors?
- What are the drivers of growth and where does social/online gaming fit in the overall gaming space (console, mobile or PC gaming)?
- How do gamers learn about new games?
- What are the demographics of social/online gamers and what are their gaming habits and attitudes?
- How can social/online games be used as part of an overall branding strategy for consumer-facing brands entertainment, CPG companies, and retail brands that are not game publishers?
- What are the future opportunities in game development, marketing and promotion?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.