Social Networking - UK - April 2010
Social networks have managed to avoid the impact of saturation in their core, younger audience by successfully appealing to a wider audience base of older users. More than four million unique internet users aged over 55 visited Facebook in February 2010.
- Despite the increasing range of activities available to social networkers, more than two-thirds of users are still focussed on connecting with their friends.
- More than 20% of internet respondents access social networks on their mobile phone. This figure will increase in 2010 because of the greater sophistication of budget handsets. Wider availability of mobile applications will also make social networks quicker and easier to use on the smaller screen.
- The launch of Buzz in February 2010 marked Google’s first foray into the social networking market. It’s not yet a credible threat to Facebook, but the search engine has a track record for innovation - as well as financial muscle - that could grow market share in the future.
- More than half of gamers on social networks avoid games that require them to spend real-world money. This is partly due to the wide variety of free alternatives, but also because paid online gaming is a relatively niche market as a whole.
- Facebook is set to be the first social network to incorporate e-commerce onto its platform in 2010. Further details have yet to be released but it’s likely to be based on Facebook’s existing payment facility ‘Credits’.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.