Social Networking - US - May 2012
Global sales of ads on Facebook alone grew 69% in 2011, reaching $1.7 billion in the U.S., and are expected to reach $3.7 billion in 2012. The leading network also reported 37% growth in ad sales in the first quarter of 2012, based on its increasing membership and innovations in creating ads within a social context—ads it claims can be more persuasive than traditional media. Ad sales are likewise growing rapidly at Twitter and LinkedIn.
The scope of corporate response to social networking is tremendous. Per Facebook, each of the world’s 100 largest corporations participate on the site. However, ads on social networks may still be less important to brand engagement than below-the-line marketing, including profile pages, tweets, news feeds, social games, and blogs, and on social networks. This report examines how networkers connect with friends and brands in order to provide readers with best practices for social media marketing. Subjects covered include:
- Usage: Which standard social networks and which specialty networks are used by which demographic group? How frequently are they used by each demographic?
- Influence: Which groups have the most friends? Which demographics are more likely to propel electronic and in-person word-of-mouth through their networks?
- Engagement: Which activities are accomplished most on social networks by different demographic groups? Which demographics follow the most brands, and the most entertainment properties, including music, movies, books, and games?
- Devices of access: How do consumers split time spent on networks between phone, tablet, and PCs? How does usage change depending on the type of device being used? How will a transition to more mobile networking impact user behavior?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.