Soup - UK - May 2010
This report assesses the performance of the UK soup market since Mintel’s last report on this sector in May 2008. Since 2007, the UK market for soup has grown by 11% to reach £511 million in 2009.
- Soup is seen as a healthy/low calorie option by 19 million adults, although households with young children under 5yrs old are less interested..
- Manufacturers should encourage 16-24year olds to eat soup as a snack at home more. At the moment, this age group restrict soup consumption to evening meals.
- Value sales of soup increased by 11% between 2007 and 2009 to reach an estimated £511 million as soup is seen as the ultimate in comfort food, and manufactures kept up with new product launches.
- Manufacturers need to ensure they promote soup all year round: 17 million adults eat soup mainly when the weather is cold.
- Consumers need to be persuaded to experiment more as only 5 million adults try out a new soup flavour when they see it.
- Chilled soups account for a quarter all soup sales, yet a fifth of adults agree that fresh/chilled soups are better quality than tinned options.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.