Soup - US - June 2016
"While the soup category is facing challenges due to the decline of RTS (ready to serve) wet and condensed soup, areas of opportunity exist. Sales of broth are up due to a cooking culture, and refrigerated soups are performing well in the market due to positive consumer sentiment surrounding the category."
Caleb Bryant, Foodservice Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Soup category sales are flat
- Sodium levels are a challenge for packaged soup
- Consumers are purchasing many different soups
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions for soup:
- RTS wet soup - canned or refrigerated soup that does not require additional ingredients, eg water or milk
- Condensed wet soup - soup that can be used as-is in recipes or needs to have water or milk added to use as traditional soup
- Dry soup mixes - dehydrated and requiring the addition of water to cook; most of these require simmering, although some are instant and need only be stirred. Includes bouillon and ramen noodle soup mixes
- RTS broth - thin soup of concentrated meat, fish, or vegetable stock
- Refrigerated fresh soup - soup that must be refrigerated to maintain freshness and heated to serve
- Frozen soup - soup that requires thawing and heating from its frozen state
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.