Soup - US - June 2019
Covered in this report
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- RTS wet soup – canned soup that does not require additional ingredients
- Condensed wet soup – soup that can be used as-is in recipes or needs to have water or milk added to use as traditional soup
- Dry soup mixes – dehydrated and requiring the addition of water to cook; most of these require simmering, although some are instant and need only be stirred. Includes bouillon and ramen noodle soup mixes
- Ready-to-serve broth – flavored water with some form of meat, fish or vegetable used as a base for soups and sauces
- Refrigerated soup – soup that must be refrigerated to maintain freshness and heated to serve, but requires no added ingredients
- Frozen soup – soup that requires thawing and heating, but requires no added ingredients
"Sales of packaged soup are, for the most part, stagnating, if not declining. Fresher soup varieties are able to leverage healthy, comforting attributes to appeal to consumers seeking more nutritious meal options. However, among younger consumers, there is a keen interest in snacking instead of meals, presenting a distinct challenge for soup brands. Soup concepts that can leverage specific healthy concepts (be it low-sodium, high-fiber or vegetable-rich) could resonate with a significant swathe of consumers, particularly if the options are tailored to their interest in portability and more-diverse flavors."
- William Roberts, Jr, Senior Food & Drink Analyst
This Report looks at the following areas:
- Sales stagnation
- Soup seen as healthy; packaged soup less so
- Portability innovation likely too challenging
- Countering the processed stigma
- Variety of vegetables
- More about mouthfeel
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.